Drug Maker Takes the Right Prescription
Drug maker’s unified cloud system is just what the doctor ordered for the next 10 years of growth
China Pharmaceutical Group (China Pharm) is the largest pharmaceutical group in China, with an operating revenue of USD $14.2 billion in 2010. The Group has 10 wholly-owned or holding subsidiaries and five listed companies. It researches, develops, manufactures, and sells pharmaceutical products related to medical prevention, treatment, and diagnosis.
When China Pharm needed to consolidate operations to improve efficiency and effectiveness, they turned to Huawei for a Cloud Computing platform.
Even though it had one of the industry most-advanced IT platforms, China Pharm decided to build a cloud-based platform to support the requirements of IT planning for the next five to ten years.
In the first phase, China Pharm planned to build a dynamic and scalable mail resource pool platform that would include the legacy Coremail system to offer mail services for approximately 60,000 employees in the Group and its subsidiaries.
The platform would offer the following advantages:
- All nodes support redundancy, ensuring service continuity and good user experience, particularly in the case of high concurrency
- The platform offers simple and easy-to-use user interfaces for end users and administrators
- The platform features good compatibility and supports smooth capacity expansion, facilitating unified operation and maintenance over diverse data centers to be constructed in the second and third phases
Huawei designed a unified cloud computing solution for the customer to build China’s largest health care cloud platform in three phases:
- Integrate the legacy VMware platform
- Centrally manage and operate virtual machine resources in Internet Data Centers (IDC) and China Pharm’s data centers to offer Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) layer services for users
- Construct a cloud platform with IT infrastructure and disaster recovery systems in three data centers, in two locations
- Create a unified operating platform
- Huawei's cloud platform offers Application Programming Interfaces (API), which assists the customer in self-help application development for basic IT resources, such as virtual servers, storage, and mail. The platform enables internal settlement between the Group and its subsidiaries through metering and billing.
- Create a unified management platform
- Huawei's cloud platform offers an infrastructure for the legacy mail system, and integrates the existing VMware virtual platform, enabling the customer to maintain diverse data centers and virtual platforms in a unified manner.
- This solution has centralized management and control systems for the Group and extended business systems to its Level 2 subsidiaries by creating a unified cloud service platform shared by the Group and its Level 2, 3, and 4 subsidiaries.
Huawei's solution offers the following customer benefits:
- Dynamic and scalable resources help the customer reduce IT investment costs and the time needed for the roll-out of new IT services.
- The unified cloud platform improves operation and maintenance efficiency, laying a solid foundation for the customer to construct a unified IaaS platform.
- The redundancy design improves system reliability and ensures service continuity.
- End-to-end software and hardware performance tuning ensure optimal user experience, even during high concurrency.